Tuesday, March 31, 2009

12. onward

Ahh. Feel pretty good this Tuesday morning. I'm thinking life is a like a construction project. Very difficult, unless you've got the right tools, in which case it's a pretty straight-forward challenge and can even be enjoyable.

Even though I forgot to take my steroids Sunday night in prep for chemo on Monday, it wasn't so bad. They just pumped 'em into me along with the benadryl and erbitux. Made me a little more woozy than last time, but by 5 I was pretty much back to normal. A little later Nancy came over and lead some yoga and that was great. It's such a good way to be physical without overdoing it. I like the gym too, but yoga is gentle and demanding - a winning combo. I also got 'scrips for Ambien and something to calm my acne and an opiate in case the pain really kicks in. The ambien is great. First full night of sleep in who knows when!

The weather today is lovely and my throat is not killing me! Whoo-hooo. The white patch, now patches, in my throat are mucicitis, common side affect of radiation. I've got some numbing spray which I'll use before eating. I am still trying to eat as much as possible, but it is pure, slow, boring work. Everything is now just matter for ingestion. Even though I can smell it doesn't translate to taste at all. The entire challenge is finding consistencies that are bearable. Grainy type stuff is out, lettucie stuff NG, but wilted spinach with goat cheese works, oatmeal is good with milk, soups still work, yogurt's usually delightful bitterness is now an agonizingly sourness, spice is verbotten, eggs can be good or revolting depending upon I know not, etc. Very hit or miss.

I think I'm going to drive to Pittsburgh for Mirm's memorial on Friday with Rich, who's volunteered to stop by on his way from DC. It will be much better than flying and dealing with packaged airplane air and all the other inconveniences. In exchange I just have to deal with Rich. I've got it made. I'll just start moaning or something and he's at my beck and call. Maybe I can lay out a nice bed in the back. He lives to serve. This will earn him his angel stripes. Believe it.

There's a guy who gets radiation right before I do who has pretty much the same problem. Never smoked, or drank, but got tongue/throat cancer. He's pretty pissed at it. I understand but I have a hard time thinking, 'damn all this time I could have boozing and smoking it up!!' Not that I haven't enjoyed myself. Anyway, I feel for this guy. He's in his 5th week of radiation and is clearly in pain. When I first met him we'd exchange pleasantries or at least info. But now he quietly nods, his face in a grimace. Last week he said he was having a feeding tube installed because he 'just can't get anything down.' I think the tube's in now. But he hasn't mentioned it. I am doing my best to be positive with him, and with me. But it's like a ghost of things to come. This is serious business.

One thing that helps me is to recognize that this is healing pain. It's different from the mysterious destructive pain that I've suffered for all these months. There the pain was magnified by the question of what it was and where it was going. Now, at least, I know the pain is removing the tumor and hopefully, reducing the danger. And, it has an end. The doc told me that it's bad until somewhere around the end of the 5th week and then the body sort of recognizes the end is near and the pain lets up a bit. It continues, but at some kind of plateau. Not so bad. That's less than 3 weeks from now. Not even a month!! And it means May will be the sweet month of healing. Nice!!

On those good notes, I big you adieu. Enjoy your days, all!

PS Oh one more thing: we got a bill yesterday for $9,000 for one night in the hospital after I got my feeding tube. First of all: $9k for one night!!! Ridiculous. 2nd of all, our doc assured us that it was necessary my staying that night and that insurance would cover it. Otherwise I'd never have stayed. But the insurer disagrees. Now we have to go through lots of hoops to, hopefully, get it fixed with our insurer. How do poor folks do it??

9 comments:

  1. Good to hear you in high spirits Dave - I honestly admire you - don't know if I could manage the same. Happy to hear that the lesions are normal - though no more pleasant I'm sure. If it were summer you could go to Pittsburgh in a bed in the back of an open pickup - like when Luke's mom comes to see him in Coll Hand. I don't believe I know Rich - or did I meet him at your party? In any event - give him hell - it'll be good for his Karma.
    Fuck the insurance companies. Because of their bills I can't afford the acupuncture I need for my neck. It's not just that they won't pay towards it - it's just that I have no money left after paying for conventional coverage.
    Still hoping to get together one of these days - looks like I'll be making a trip to NJ if you're cool with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't comment much in your blog, I am still thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, safe travels on your trip to Pittsurgh. Visting the places of our childhood can be literally rejuvenating. Reminding us of all that energy and optimism. It's good to stay in touch with that. I am very sorry to hear about Mike's mom. Her passing is obviously a loss for you as well. But I know it means so much for him that you are coming for the service. Best - Tad

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Never smoked, or drank, but got tongue/throat cancer."

    Sorry Dude! That's why I follow in my Grandpa's footsteps. He drank and smoked everyday of his life, had a heart attack at 84.

    SO I will smoke and drink DOUBLE in your honor! (triple - for that guy you met) ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it odd that AIG insurance company insists that it's contract to pay bonus to rich guys must be honored -because contracts are important- while your insurance company is reluctant to honor it's contract to pay for your health care?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not odd in the context of our screwed up system. Yes odd in the context of a moral society.
    Also odd that are anonymous. What are you hiding?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe that's your tumor posting anonymously???

    ReplyDelete