Saturday, April 4, 2009

13. flesh is weak

Well, my Pittsburgh plans have been scuttled by side effects of the treatment. I've been nauseous, my throat hurts, and I don't eat unless Betsy pushes me to do so, and even then I can't eat anything solid. I started using the feeding tube, but haven't incorporated it into my routine yet. I had hoped until the last minute last night that I'd be feeling well enough to get an early flight today and make it in time for Mirm's memorial at 2, but no dice.

I understand, as people have been saying, that my health comes first, that Mirm would have wanted me to take care of myself, and that it's the sensible decision. But it's upsetting. I had been looking forward to being with all my high school friends, supporting each other and grieving together. I've already given my eulogy, so I don't need to make another one. Just know, all you Pittsburgers, that my thoughts are with you and especially you Mike and Jeff. We're going to miss Mirm. We have a shared consolation though: she had a positive influence on all of us and that keeps her spirit alive.

I love you guys! And I look forward to seeing you all soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you couldn't make the trip Dave - it was obvious how important it was to you and how much Mirm means to you as well. You made the right choice though - difficult as it was.

    ReplyDelete