Saturday, May 9, 2009

27. the mask is off!






Separated at birth!









And with that, it's over. Radiation treatments were officially concluded yesterday morning at 10AM.

It was a relatively peaceful passing. Although I was a little bit disoriented, again. This time, according to Dr. Zablow, the cause wasn't dehydration. It was a side effect of the pain medication, exagerated by my being tired and worn out. Reportedly, since again I don't recall much, I started moving my hands during treatment. Luckily, before I got them anywhere near my face the techs started yelling over the intercom system and I returned them where they belong, holding the handles. The treatment was uninterupted. When we were done I got a photo with the techs and they gave me my mask! I'll have to mount it on the wall.


The Tomo Tech Team and moi.


Back home my feelings were mixed. On the one hand, very relieved to have made it through. On the other, discouraged and unhappy that my throat hurts more than ever. That will probably continue for another few days until the radiation passes through my system. This is where all you supporters have been so fantastic. I've been getting encouragement in all forms: emails, calls, cards, flowers and visits, and all of it is really helping. Thanks, thanks, and thanks! I can't wait to see more of you when I regain some mobility.


Early in this process, before I had even begun treatment, Dr. Zablow had consoled me with reasons that I'd be able to get through it. One of them was that we, as human beings, remember very little of our bad experiences. It seemed strange to me at the time that this was a reason not to worry. But now, in retrospect, I know it's true. I've had some of the worst days and nights of my life, just in the last weeks, and yet I don't really remember them. They all mush together into a general memory of discomfort, one that I know I don't want to repeat any time soon (not really a problem, since being treated for cancer with radiation only works once), but that is thankfully short of gruesome details.

Now all that's left is to get better. Here I go!




Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well...good riddance!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, David. Great job, Man!! Every day, things will clear up and start to get better. And don't throw the mask away....it's kinda sexy.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. First the mask, next...the world! I think we have our newest super hero.

    So great you're done phase one! Kudos for your fantastic attitude throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy. Joel, you can borrow the mask any time you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dave! Remember tying John Sex into his mask back with Dog Eat Dog? I really wish you a speedy recovery and all the best from our house to yours. Come on by on Saturday if you're up to it. If not - we'll represent you with a tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I'd forgotten that we were part of the Sex show. That was fun. Doubt I'll make it Sat, but I'll be there in spirit.

    ReplyDelete